Esh in Israel

I'd like to tell you this blog makes you the Robin to my Batman, along, in spirit, on a great quest against a furious, unnameable evil, but really, you're more the Larry Appleton to my Balki Bartokamous, there to laugh when I make idiotic cultural mistake after idiotic cultural mistake.

Monday, September 18, 2006

A Sixteen Hour Day (and a 72-hour weekend).

The time is 10:50. I just got home.

This morning, I left the house at 6:30. Normally, I've been going to morning minyan for davening, which either starts at 7:25 (non-Torah days) or 7:10 (Torah days). This week, though, is special. This week, we say a special prayer service called Slichot, which, in it's essence, is aimed at getting us prepared, emotionally and spiritually, for the upcoming Chagim (holidays). The service is about 25 minutes long, so this morning (a Torah day), we gathered at 6:45.

After minyan, I had a full day of classes. The day started with Mishnah, which is both revelatory and frustrating, but has really helped me develop a picture of both how Mishnaic thinkers (pre-200 CE) lived, as well as how the general mentality of post-Temple Judaism was perceived. I then took another class on Siddur (an addendum to my previous schedule) with Yaffa, which, this month, is actually focusing on the Machzorim (the prayer books used for the high holidays). Finally, after lunch, I had my Midrash class. So far, Midrash has been really frustrating; I haven't been able to engage our texts in a meaningful way, and I've been getting frustrated with my class' general acceptance of relatively topical understandings. Today, though, I had a great chevruta session, and I really connected both with our text (also dealing with Rosh Hashanah) and man's relationship both to G-d and repentence. Pretty great.

Following dinner break, we then had Seder Erev (or night study). Chevruta time in classes can be pretty frustrating; usually, you're pretty sure that the teacher is trying to steer you in a particular direction, so you and your chevruta make an attempt to disseminate (through the questions provided by the teacher) what ends you're meant to reach. In Seder Erev, though, study is much more freeform; you can approach a text openly and without an agenda, and reach whatever ends you reach on your own. Generally, you're also paired with someone at a much higher level than you (or lower, depending), which, beyond my comprehension, the more experienced students really seem to enjoy. I've been studying the book of Sh'mot (Exodus) with my awesome chevruta, Ariel. So far, we've parsed the first two perekim (chapters) into Pshat (literal meaning). Occasionally, something funny or interesting will show up in the text, and we usually take notice and do some research. Primarily, I'm trying to work on my translation skills of biblical Hebrew, but in the long run, I'm definitely realizing how important translating from the original becomes (especially with the grammar-rich Torah).

Finally, after Seder Erev (9:30) we davened Ma'ariv, followed by Slichot (since it was Jewishly a new day). I left the building at 10:30, and got home at about 10:45. What a day.

Quickly, this weekend, we had an amazing community tiyul (trip) to Adar. There wasn't much hiking to be had, but we did do a 5 am walk to an amazing lookout of the Judean Desert for a beautiful, quiet, and aweing sunrise, followed by a dawn Shacharit service in the desert. The weekend was amazing... I had the opportunity to get to know some teachers I've been meaning to talk to, and I certainly made new friends in the program and strengthened friendships already formed. I think I know almost everyone's name by now, and those that I don't know, I'm actively pursuing.

As far as community goes, I am so, so satisfied. My class is amazing... even return students have mentioned what a great dynamic we have (a faculty member noted to me that this was the best Shabbaton they've had with Pardes in a number of years). It's barely been two weeks, but we've gotten so close already - I feel such a cohesion, openness, and warmth amongst my classmates. I can't believe that I spent 16 hours at school today, but if it weren't for the constant drive of all the students around me, I know I'd never have the motivation for it. Being around such a dedicated bunch of people, a group who so thoroughly love studying Torah, makes my day fly by and every chevruta (nearly) meaningful. I have absolutely no regrets about coming here, and I'm having an even greater experience already than I ever expected.

I'll try to get some real thoughts together and lay that out soon, since I haven't written anything very meaningful in awhile. There's so much going on, I'm so busy, that it's hard to find time, but I'll do my best to really wrack my brain for y'all.

Thanks for reading, and as always, all your love and support are more than I could ever ask for.

PS I have internet now, so if you want to skype me, please do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home